What to expect after your BBL Surgery
We often get a lot of questions from our patients about what to expect following their Brazilian Butt Lift procedure. Here are some helpful tips on how to maximize your results.
How much fat will survive and how long will my results last?
It is impossible to predict exactly how many fat cells are going to survive. We anticipate that 50-80% of the transferred fat cells will remain as long as you avoid direct pressure to the buttocks by not sitting or laying on your back for a minimum of 4 weeks.
To increase the odds that your results will be long-lasting, patients need to maintain and not lose weight after their procedure. It’s important to remember that the transferred fat cells will behave much like the fat cells in the rest of your body. In other words, transplanted fat cells will grow or shrink with weight gain or weight loss.
What symptoms should I expect immediately following my Brazilian Butt Lift surgery?
- Drainage & Discoloration: Some drainage and discoloration is normal following your BBL surgery. The amount varies from person to person. Patients will experience post-operative drainage after their procedure. Drainage may be significant for 12-48 hours and will dissipate.
- Bruising & Swelling: It’s normal to experience swelling and bruising. Bruising usually lasts for up to 2-3 weeks while swelling can linger for months following the procedure. Many patients also noticed reduced skin sensitivity as well, particularly during the first week of recovery. This is normal.
- Itching: Itching during the recovery period is a normal part of the healing process after any liposuction surgery. Superficial nerves are slightly traumatized during the procedure and as they begin to heal and regenerate, a variety of skin sensations will occur such as a numb tingling sensation, pins and needles, and itching/pain.
When can I shower after BBL surgery?
You may shower 24-48 hours after your surgery and hot water should be avoided. BBL surgical patients should avoid the beach, pools, baths, and hot tubs until you are given the clearance by your surgeon. This is to avoid the risk of infections and weakening of the incisions.
When can I resume regular activities and exercise?
You should avoid high impact, strenuous activities for the time recommended by your doctor. Typically after 2-4 weeks you may resume to light activities and we encourage exercising the buttocks with glute activated work-outs. After the fat cells are fully established, patients can resume more rigorous activities such as jogging or running. It is very important to follow your surgeon’s post-operative instructions and given clearance to ensure good outcomes from the procedure.
To maximize the results of your BBL, it is recommended that you:
- Avoid sitting directly on your buttocks for at least 8 weeks following your surgery. If you need to sit, use a special BBL pillow.
- Avoid putting pressure on the grafted areas to give fat the best chance to survive. This means sleeping and laying on your stomach.
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle. Eating well balanced healthy meals and of course not smoking will help give you long-lasting results.
- Wear a compression garment as instructed by your surgeon. The compression garment is designed to help with swelling. You should not have compression over the buttocks unless instructed by your doctor. This can compromise the survival of the transferred fat.
If you have had BBL surgery with us and have questions about your BBL recovery, please do not hesitate to contact us here.
Check out our procedure pages for more commonly asked questions about BBL surgery.
You can see before and after photos of actual patients on our gallery page.