HTML Friendly Text Below
BREAST AUGMENTATION POST OPERATIVE INSTRUCTIONS
PLEASE DISREGARD ANY INFORMATION THAT YOU FIND ON THE INTERNET AND FOLLOW ONLY ONT THE INSTRUCTIONS GIVEN TO YOU BY DR. TRUONG.
The following instructions are designed to minimize discomfort after surgery.
PLEASE REMEMBER THAT RESULTS FROM BREAST AUGMENTATION TAKE TIME.
You may not see the final results for up to 6-12 months.
SWELLING/BRUISING: Swelling and discoloration are normal following Breast Augmentation. The amount varies from person to person.
NUMBNESS: You may experience localized numbness for several months up to a year. This is normal and will improve over time as your nerves regenerate. You may experience sensation changes of the nipples this is normal and typically improves over time.
GARMENT: Your post-surgical bra is to be worn 24 hours per day until your first post-operative appointment. It is designed to help with swelling and to keep your breast implants in place while you heal.
- PLEASE keep all bandages and steri-strips under the bra intact until we see you
- You will be instructed to wear your post-surgical bra or sports bra for up to four weeks.
- DO NOT wear any bras with an underwire for up to 8 weeks, please confirm this with your Doctor as it is depending on your wound healing.
ACTIVITY: Patients should rest the day of surgery and watch for dizziness upon standing. You may resume activities the next morning and should be up and moving around. To avoid complications, you should not be bed ridden following this procedure. Other than walking, exercise should be resumed gradually. Consult with the Doctor regarding exercise levels in your first follow up appointment.
IT IS NECESSARY TO HAVE SOMEONE STAY WITH YOU 12 HOURS FOLLOWING SURGERY.
RETURNING TO WORK: For this procedure, we generally recommend returning to work 7-10 days after surgery depending on how the patient is feeling.
DIET: Meals are not restricted following surgery. Begin with clear liquids if you had IV sedation.
- Avoid salt so that you do not retain water.
- Do not eat anything spicy or greasy.
- We recommend a diet high in fiber, lean proteins, fresh fruits, and vegetables.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Percocet (pain) & Zofran (anti-nausea) will cause constipation. Take Metamucil/Stool Softeners.
SHOWERING: You may shower 48 hours post surgery. Leave all bandages intact while you shower until your first follow up appointment and let them air dry.
- It is advised that you have assistance with your first shower.
- Is is advised to have a light snack and orange juice to prevent dizziness
- you may experience dizziness and nausea removing your compression garment.
- We suggest washing your garment
- Do not replace pads, gauze, or bandages over your incisions unless you are still draining.
- Do not apply ointment/moisturizer over your incisions soap and water from your shower is sufficient enough for them to be cleansed.
- You may NOT sit or submerge your body in water for 4 weeks. No swimming pools, hot tubs, whirlpools or baths until the incisions are closed and thoroughly healed.
MEDICATION: DO NOT take herbal supplements, aspirin/aspirin containing products, ibuprofen, arthritis relief medications, or vitamin E for two weeks before & after surgery.
You have been prescribed 3 medications:
- ANTIBIOTIC: Keflex (Cephalexin) Take this medication until completed (one week).
First dose (1pill) when you get home. Then take 1 pill four times a day until completed.
- ANTI-NAUSEA: Zofran (Ondansetron): As needed for Nausea
You may experience nausea/vomiting. Take one pill every 6-8 hours, as needed.
- PAIN: Percocet (Oxycodone/Acetaminophen): As needed Take your pain medication after a small/light meal to prevent nausea. Take 1-2 pills as needed for pain every 4-6 hours.
THIS MEDICATION IS TO BE TAKEN AS NEEDED ONLY FOR PAIN FROM SURGERY ONLY.
You may opt for Extra Strength Tylenol instead of Percocet for pain management. DO NOT TAKE TYLENOL AND PERCOCET AT THE SAME TIME.
SUN EXPOSURE: Avoid exposing any small scars to the sun for at least 12 months. Always use a strong sun block, if sun exposure is unavoidable (SPF 30 or greater).
EXPECTATIONS: Keep in mind that we are trying to achieve significant I improvement, not perfection. If your expectations are realistic, you are much more likely to be happy with the final result. Be patient, it may take up to 6-12 months to see optimal results from Breast Augmentation.
For non emergency related questions ALWAYS call our office during business hours to 312.846.1529 (ex: appointment inquiry, time of upcoming appointment etc…)
For immediate emergencies 911 or go to Presence Saint Francis Hospital located on 355 Ridge Ave, Evanston, IL 60202. If you are unable to go to St.Francis, you may go to Presence Saint Joseph Hospital, located on 2900 N Lake Shore Dr, Chicago, IL 60657.
If you have urgent concerns after business hours, you may call our nurse at 312.320.4655 (please note that the response may not be immediate.) This phone number is not to be used for general inquiries and you should contact our office during business hours.
CALL OUR NURSE IMMEDIATELY TO 312.320.4655
- If you have a temperature over 100.4 degrees.
- Sudden and/or abnormal swelling.
- Intense pain not relieved by pain medication.